Tennis Dynamics offers a variety of programs for juniors, including fun and recreational programs and advanced player development programs for the competitive player. One, two, or three Drill Days are available depending on the program. Instructor supervised drills are used to polish existing strokes, develop movement, and create play situations.
Non Program Lessons
For those parents not interested in one of the development programs listed below, as an easy alternative we have standard lesson packages. Please visit our Rates and Policies page for more details.
Teddy Tennis is a fantastic new FUN way to encourage children aged 2 1/2 to 5 years to get active and learn to play tennis. It works by combining Music, Pictures and Teddy Bear Stories into a totally interactive learning adventure that your child will love!
Teddy Tennis is also offered at area schools and churches. Visit our After School Program page for more info.
Our QuickStart tennis lessons are based on the idea of introducing children to tennis in a graduated length format. We begin teaching the children with smaller racquets and balls that are less compressed and allow them to progress and set the pace of their development. Our ultimate goal is to have the children advance to the point they can enter our regular junior development programs.
The six week programs are designed for children 8 and under who want to learn the game of tennis and might not be ready to commit to the regular regime of a junior developmental program.
The program is set up in two levels:
- QuickStart Blue – for pure beginners.
- QuickStart White – for the intermediate level children.
- All the QuickStart classes meet Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday at 3:45 p.m. until 4:30 p.m.
- We divide the levels up on those particular days.
- Generally ages 6 to 9 and some skill based
At Tennis Dynamics, we know little kids like big fun. This entry level junior development program is designed to introduce young tennis players to the fundamentals of tennis and the academy programs. The Future Stars Tennis program shows children the game of tennis in a fun and rewarding way.
Children develop self-confidence through a careful progression of tennis games and basic drills designed to teach the basics and foster a love for the sport. With great organization and planning, children spend their time on the court with new friends running, learning, and laughing. The equipment we use make learning easy. Through encouragement and gentle instruction we create a positive and fun atmosphere. Additionally, youngsters will learn tennis etiquette, score keeping, and the rules of the game.
Junior Development 1
- Generally ages 8-12 but also skills based.
The Junior Development Level 1 is the next step in our academy programs for beginning young juniors. It is more than what a regular “clinic or league program” offers.
If players want to make the commitment to improve and develop proper fundamentals, then this is the right program. With time and effort, their games will improve. Players will work on the basics of the groundstrokes, volleys, serve and overhead.
The classes are split in half with regard to drills and working on the fundamentals and play situations. On Thursdays we will spend a portion of the time playing matches and competitive games that will help children to understand better how to employ strategies and tactics. Some doubles play is included at various times throughout the semester.
The Junior Development Plus is designed for the beginning to intermediate tennis players who want more than a season of league lessons but are not quite ready for either Junior Development 2 or Excel. These players may be thinking about playing tournaments or have just begun playing tournaments. They also may have some USTA or other League experience.
The program will emphasize proper fundamentals with the groundstrokes, serve, volleys and footwork. At various points throughout the fall and spring semesters we will teach some doubles strategy and positioning. We will emphasize specific social skills focusing on good sportsmanship, honesty, self-control, and the ability to handle disappointments, all of which prepare our students for their future lives.
Junior Development 2 is designed for the intermediate tennis players who have completed some basic skills development – regardless of their athletic ability or experience. This program is set up to teach the players the skills needed to continue to have fun and be successful on the tennis court. These players may have played some tournaments. They have USTA, ALTA or other league experience.
The program will emphasize proper fundamentals with the groundstrokes, serve, volleys and footwork. At various points throughout the fall and spring semesters we will teach some doubles strategy and positioning. We will emphasize specific social skills focusing on good sportsmanship, honesty, self-control, and the ability to handle disappointments, all of which prepare our students for their future on the court as players.
- Normally by invitation only; need to be working toward a USTA ranking.
It Is Not The Stick!
We want our players to understand the racquet is not the key ingredient to their success. We like for them to get a very good racquet and then stay with it over time. By following this approach we take the racquet out of the players’ minds. Then there is one less built-in excuse for failure on the court.
Once in the Excel program the racquet you have is good enough. We prefer every player either stays with their own personal racquet (as long as the company makes the racquet) or they switch to one of the Wilson Pro Staff 97 racquets. Once a racquet company stops producing a personal racquet then players will need to switch to the Wilson Pro Staff line of racquets.
We have very specific reasons we like the Wilson Pro Staff racquets for our players. To begin with the geometry and weight of the racquet are just right. It helps to produce the kind of strokes we want for our players. Second, the Wilson Sporting Goods Company has been making the Pro Staff frames for many years and you can depend on them making the frame in some fashion or another for years to come.
“Musical” Coaches Expectation
We do not support or believe in the “musical” coaches philosophy. We never have and never will. Youngsters and their parents interested in enrolling in the Excel program should also realize this. The use of multiple coaches is of no benefit to our program or to the players we coach. We want the players to listen to one voice in their development.
It is important to realize on court you need to be able to trust the players around you; their attitudes toward practice, their competitive spirit and the overall integrity of the program needs to be protected. This is why Excel Development is by invitation only and is intended for dedicated tournament tennis players. Members of Excel and their accomplishments become our culture, history and tradition.
Here are some of the focal points of this program:
- Players in this program are required to make the commitment of time and effort to be the best they can be.
- We want junior tennis players who are trying to attain a state, sectional or national ranking.
- During Excel sessions play strategies are emphasized in structured games and match-play.
- We believe the youngsters’ minds should also be consciously stressed, allowed to recover and compensate. Hence, we are one of the few programs that schedule in rest period and dedicate to the best players the best hours of the day and week for practice.
- Excel provides a total learning environment where private lessons provide individual attention and the drill sessions reinforce the skills learned in the private lessons.
- Drills and match play situations are varied throughout the year long program with new movements and combinations.
- We apply pressure at practice and strive to make the training more difficult to keep the player guessing.
- We believe in attention to detail. For us little things matter so we will go back and repeat things over and again in practice sessions until we are able to get them right.
- A main objective of Excel is to train with the same commitment we take into competition. We teach to our students the only outcome of value is that which is realized by utterly committing all of one’s resources to the task at hand.
- Tournaments are scheduled to provide coaching and match analysis.
- Over time, careful emphasis on a strong foundation allows players to reach higher points with their games.
We find talented tennis players to be fairly common in this area of the country. Young tennis players who can combine the focus, concentration and physical talents are less prevalent. These are the skills we strive to develop for our players in the Excel program. But if you are not willing to give it everything you have, to go until there is nothing left to give, then this is probably not the best group suited for you.
Junior Tournament Coaching
- Ages 8-17
Tennis Dynamics can provide coaching at the state, Southern, and national levels throughout the year upon request. We place great emphasis on the student’s participation in many tournaments and can provide excellent coaching when needed.
Tournament Coaching Includes:
- Pre-Match warm-up
- Watching matches & split-set coaching
- Post-tournament evaluation (National Tournaments)
If you want a complete list of all tournaments, visit www.ustageorgia.com for the complete junior schedule.
- We do not send coaches to every tournament. Tennis Dynamics encourages kids to play tournaments so they can develop responsibility for their own play and preparation.
- Any tournament expenses include: airfare, rental cars & gas, hotel, food , cell phone, practice court fees and balls.
- $150.00 per day plus all expenses.